superstructure

Evi

Greek
Hello!

Can you give me any synonyms or any explanations of what could mean:

superstructure chair

within the context of collective design and furniture.

Thank you

• Evi

Greek
    You've given us the context. Can you give us an actual sentence? Otherwise, I can only tell you what a dictionary or encyclopedia entry might contain--you checked a dictionary, of course?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/superstructure
    I have already done my research in dictionaries, but what I need is the concept behind the term. The phrase is used as a title in a magazine to describe beside a picture this unique chair designed by certain artist. It describes the item by giving this name, the name of the creator and its price. Nothing more.
    The reason I need to understand the concept is because I am trying to translate it into Greek!:D

Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    It seems that "Superstructure Chair" is the name the artist has given to the chair. It's a play on words, indicating that the structural design of the chair is artistically significant, perhaps in an architectural sense, while using the word "superstructure" to also hint that the chair is "super," likely meaning "superior" or "great."

bibliolept

AE, Español
    If it's used as a title in a small feature, then this may actually be a play on words. For example, if a chair has an impressive or interesting structure, what the writer/editor may actually have meant for you to think or read is "Super-structure," in which "super" means "wonderful," "superb," or "great."
    I say this because I don't think one would normally talk about a chair's "superstructure," a term usually reserved for constructs/constructions of a larger scale.

jeffdelanoche

English - Midwest USA
    Without having seen the chair, I could imagine that the focus is less on the function "furniture a person sits on" and more on the structural design elements, such as the legs, back, and seat all formed from a single piece of material or that some structural element of the chair is visually predominant.

jeffdelanoche

English - Midwest USA
    How about "the base rises like a pyramid with the central axis rising to the a self-contained formally structured universe from which the chair's user experiences ultimate control"?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    < Previous | Next >