Supervisor - PhD

< Previous | Next >

elprofe

Spanish (Spain)
Hello Users!

I am applying for a scholarship to study in New York and I need to make sure that the person I'm sending the message to agrees to be my supervisor.

My attempt is:
I am writing to you to confirm that you agree to be my supervisor as a visiting scholar at New York University.

Is it ok? I'm not sure about the word "supervisor", Is it used in academic context in English too?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It is in BE. (However, the sentence itself has other problems: "As a visiting scholar" appears to qualify "supervisor" when it is, in fact, an adverbial phrase qualifying "am writing".)

elprofe

Spanish (Spain)
    I see... thank you for your help PaulQ.
    What about this?
    I am writing to you to confirm that you will be my supervisor while I am studying at New York University as a visiting scholar
    or
    I am writing to you to confirm that you will be my supervisor while I am studying as a visiting scholar at New York University

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I have applied to be a visiting scholar at New York University. Could you please confirm that you will/would be my supervisor?

Egmont

English - U.S.
    A visiting scholar usually already has a Ph.D., or alternatively such a distinguished reputation that he/she doesn't need one. Either way, such a person doesn't need a supervisor (though he/she might supervise other researchers). The thread title suggests that this person will supervise your Ph.D. research. In that case, at least in my experience, you would not be a visiting scholar. Which is it? Is that the exact title of the position for which you are applying? Unless it is, if you are a graduate student, don't call yourself a (potential) visiting scholar.

elprofe

Spanish (Spain)
    I didn't mean to sound pretentious or anything like that...
    I am taking my PhD - it's my 3rd year- and I've applied for a scholarship to study in the US for 3 months.

< Previous | Next >