supplementary courses

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
During summer or winter vacation, the middle schools often plan some projects for those students who want to take an entrance exam to get into a good high school or college, and we call them "supplementary courses." I wonder if this term makes sense to you. If not, how would you say it?
Correct me if there is anything wrong. Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    During summer or winter vacation, the middle schools often plan some projects for those students who want to take an entrance exam to get into a good high school or college, and we call them "supplementary courses." I wonder if this term makes sense to you. If not, how would you say it?
    Correct me if there is anything wrong. Thanks.
    I can imagine them being called "supplementary courses" here. Most commonly, we would say that we're going to "Summer School". Anyone hearing that phrase would know that we're trying to get extra credits.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    I can imagine them being called "supplementary courses" here. Most commonly, we would say that we're going to "Summer School". Anyone hearing that phrase would know that we're trying to get extra credits.
    Thanks, Dimcl.
    But I'm afraid that people would confuse "supplementary lessons" with "make-up courses." Besides, usually "supplementary lessons" won't win the students here any credits. What should I call it?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Thanks, Dimcl.
    But I'm afraid that people would confuse "supplementary lessons" with "make-up courses." Besides, usually "supplementary lessons" won't win the students here ant credits. What should I call it?
    Then I guess I'm not sure what you mean by supplementary lessons. Are these lessons over and above those required to be taken in the ordinary curriculum? Are they just extra study time for the students?

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Dimcl.
    As usual, they are just extra study time for the students, but sometimes we teach them something outside the textbooks. They are like those that are taught by cram school except that they are taught in school. What would you call them? Summer extra/supplemental lessons?

Joelline

American English
    We do have some courses like the ones you describe here. They are sometimes called "Supplemental Non-Credit Courses." Other times (depending on the nature and function of the courses), they can be called, "Preparatory Non-Credit Courses." Finally, there are also "Enrichment Courses" (which are also non-credit, but sound so much more interesting!).

< Previous | Next >