supplementary program

ryan.

Persian
Hi,

A university offers a degree program. In the framework of this program, they offer another one, as the elite program, with same specialization which will be open to apply for students with good performance in their first semester of study. The only difference between these programs is that "the elite one" includes more hours of internship and research projects. How can we refer to the elite program. Can we call it a "supplementary program" or "an extra program" ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • bibliolept

AE, Español
    If all it means is "extra" — and that's what I would take "supplementary" to mean in this case — I would suggest "optional."

You might use "extended," but that can have other specialized associated meanings in a higher education context, as so many other words do, which is the reason why I cannot fully recommend "supplementary," though it would otherwise fit.

Oeco

English - US
    I guess you could say that the university is supplementing their regular program with more hours of internship and research and then labelling it "The Elite Program" for advertising or promotional purposes. "An extra program" doesn't have that promotional ring to it.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I guess you could say that the university is supplementing their regular program with more hours of internship and research and then labelling it "The Elite Program" for advertising or promotional purposes. "An extra program" doesn't have that promotional ring to it.
    I agree, with one concern: Elite sounds, well, elitist. Perhaps it could be called an advanced or enhanced program?

ryan.

Persian
    If all it means is "extra" — and that's what I would take "supplementary" to mean in this case — I would suggest "optional."

You might use "extended," but that can have other specialized associated meanings in a higher education context, as so many other words do, which is the reason why I cannot fully recommend "supplementary," though it would otherwise fit.
    Thank you for the answers.

< Previous | Next >