supply of the “merchandize” [merchandise]

< Previous | Next >

brainstorming

Portugal, Portuguese
Hi everyone,

In a context of slave trade, can I say in English "obtainment of the "merchandise"? Is it correct to use the word obtainment?

This slave trade had also effects on the early ways of Portuguese occupation. Therefore, in the stage that lasted until the mid Nineteenth century, the system of insular and territorial encroachment of these African areas favoured the creation of militarily protected spaces for the obtainment of the “merchandize”. These spaces were based on coastal and fluvial fortresses and forts, which aimed at providing defense against natives and against European (mainly Dutch) competition.

Thanks in advance

• Loob

English UK
    Hi brain

No, obtainment doesn't work:(. I'm not really very keen on merchandise either, whether with or without inverted commas: it sound rather belittling.

I think you need something like:
    the system ... favoured the creation of militarily protected spaces for use as slave markets.

brainstorming

Portugal, Portuguese
    Hi brain

No, obtainment doesn't work:(. I'm not really very keen on merchandise either, whether with or without inverted commas: it sound rather belittling.
    I know it sounds belittling, but the idea is that slaves were treated as if they were "goods" in that epoch (unfortunately, this was true:().

Loob

English UK
    I understand that, brain, but I still find "merchandise" very uncomfortable - it's almost worse with the inverted commas round it.

If you're not keen on 'for use as slave markets' how about 'for buying and selling'?

brainstorming

Portugal, Portuguese
    I understand that, brain, but I still find "merchandise" very uncomfortable - it's almost worse with the inverted commas round it.

If you're not keen on 'for use as slave markets' how about 'for buying and selling'?
    I like your suggestion, Loob. Thanks for your help.

Packard

USA, English
    I don't believe I've ever seen "obtainment" (or "obtention") used in writing, nor do I believe I've heard it spoken.

Maybe I've lead a sheltered life, but these seem to be pretty obscure words to me.

(And my spell checker does not recognize "obtention" either.)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Obtainment

< Previous | Next >