supports favoris

agueda

Korean
Bonjour,

I have a question about the following sentence structure:

"Adopter un rapport humain n'est possible qu'avec des animaux familiers ou plutôt familiaux, supports favoris des projections symboliques de la psychanalyse."

Does "supports favoris" (favorite/best supports?) refer to everything that comes before it ("adopting a human relation with familiar or domestic animals")?

My try>> "Forming a human connection is possible only with familiar, or rather, domestic animals, which best supports the symbolic projections of psychoanalysis."

I'm not sure about what this sentence means as a whole...

• jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    No, "supports favoris" refers to "des animaux familiers ou plutôt familiaux." You know this because of the masculine plural agreement. :)

agueda

Korean
    Hi Jann,
    Thanks very much for your comment! I'm now certain that my translation does not work at all.
    I still don't understand the sentence, unfortunately... I posted another question on this sentence in the vocab forum. Thanks again!

Bonjour,

I have a question about the "supports favoris" part of the following sentence:

"Adopter un rapport humain n'est possible qu'avec des animaux familiers ou plutôt familiaux, supports favoris des projections symboliques de la psychanalyse."

In my previous question on the grammar forum, someone let me know that "supports favoris" refers to "des animaux familiers ou plutôt familiaux". Still, I do not understand what "supports favoris" means in this context.. None of the definitions listed on WR seems to work.. Can somebody help me please?

My try: "Establishing a human relation is possible only with familiar or familial/domestic animals, which are the best/favorite supports/proofs(??) of symbolic projections of psychoanalysis."

Thank you!!Moderator note: duplicate threads merged

Last edited by a moderator:

Seeda

Banned
    法语 / French (FR)
    Hello,

Supports is connected with projections symboliques. In other words, the animals are what the symbolic projections are thrown on. I'd like to shed more light but I'd need more to context to be sure of what I say.

As for favori, I think it can be rendered as 'most typical' in this context. Hope English-speakers can think of a word for support now (which I guess Meille just did while I was typing this :p).

Hope this helps.

agueda

Korean
    Thanks very much for your help, Meille and Seeda! Greatly appreciated :)
    So, "the most typical props" or "the favorite props" would work the best in this sentence.
    Still, I don't have enough knowledge of "symbolic projections of psychoanalysis" to fully understand the sentence! But I guess it's not a French-English language problem.. I will figure that part out. :)

< Previous | Next >