suppose (that)?

fedperea

New Member
Spanish
Hi!

This is my first question in this forum, so I hope that I'm doing it correctly.

can anyone tell me which one is correct?
  1. suppose that it is not....
  2. suppose it is not...
Thank you!
 
  • Alba

    Member
    Spain, Spanish, Catalan
    Creo que en este caso el uso es optativo. Puedes decir "I suppose (that) it is not..."

    Algún nativo?
     

    fedperea

    New Member
    Spanish
    Masood said:
    Me parece que ambos son correctos pero depende en que quieres decir. Tienes una frase en mente?
    Yes, I have a sentence:

    "Consider A and suppose (that) it is not feasible for B"

    It is a mathematical text...
     

    Lenu

    Senior Member
    spain/spanish-catalan
    Masood said:
    Me parece que ambos son correctos pero depende en que quieres decir. Tienes una frase en mente?

    Hola Masood,

    La expresión correcta sería:

    "depende de lo que quieras decir"
     

    Masood

    Senior Member
    British English
    fedperea said:
    Yes, I have a sentence:

    "Consider A and suppose (that) it is not feasible for B"

    It is a mathematical text...
    Gracias. En un contexto matemático, yo pondría la palabra 'that'. No obstante, no sería incorrecto sin 'that'.
     

    Focalist

    Senior Member
    European Union, English
    I agree with what has already been said: that the inclusion of the word "that" is optional.

    Given, though, that inclusion is rather more formal in style, I would favour including it in your sample sentence, which appears to be expressing a step-by-step mathematical argument.

    Otherwise "suppose" behaves just like such words as "think", "believe", "imagine":

    - Do you think (that) I don't know?
    - She used to believe (that) it didn't matter
    - I imagine (that) it will be possible

    F
     

    paultucker79

    Senior Member
    UK,English
    Focalist said:
    I agree with what has already been said: that the inclusion of the word "that" is optional.

    Given, though, that inclusion is rather more formal in style, I would favour including it in your sample sentence, which appears to be expressing a step-by-step mathematical argument.

    Otherwise "suppose" behaves just like such words as "think", "believe", "imagine":

    - Do you think (that) I don't know?
    - She used to believe (that) it didn't matter
    - I imagine (that) it will be possible

    F


    Exactly correct Focalist
     
    Top