supresión de estado civil de un menor de 10 años

< Previous | Next >

William Stein

American English
Hi everybody,

I'm translating a human rights case in Argentina, and this is part of the judgement:

Una condena a 3 años de prisión por el delito de supresión de estado civil de un menor de 10 años.

I think they're talking about the time under Pinochet when the government took the children of the people they killed and destroyed their official personal records so they could be adopted.

Anyway, I have two questions:
1) Does anybody know how to say " supresión de estado civil" in English?
2) Does "un menor de 10 años" mean "a minor under the age of 10" or "a 10-year-old minor"?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sallyb36

British UK
    Suppression of civil state...
    Un menor de 10 años is ambiguous, it could be somebody less than 10, or a 10 year old minor.

Last edited by a moderator:

William Stein

American English
    That's true but it's the general name of a crime in Argentina so I think it must be understood "un (niño) menor de 10 años" because otherwise it be okay to destroy the records of a 9-year-old, for example. What do they call those kinds of records in the UK? Vital statistics records? I don't think there is any kind of central register of everybody born in the US, so I just said "destruction of official personal records"

k-in-sc

U.S. English
    Hi everybody,

I'm translating a human rights case in Argentina, and this is part of the judgement:

una condena a 3 años de prisión por el delito de supresión de estado civil de un menor de 10 años

I think they're talking about the time under Pinochet when the government took the children of the people they killed and destroyed their official personal records so they could be adopted.

Anyway, I have two questions:
    1) Does anybody know how to say " supresión de estado civil" in English?
    2) does "un menor de 10 años" mean "a minor under the age of 10" or "a 10-year-old minor"?
    Pinochet ...?!
    supresión de estado civil: suppression of civil status
    un menor de 10 años: a minor/child under the age of 10 (check the law)

< Previous | Next >