surf-and-turf

< Previous | Next >

beautifulmind

Chinese
The family ate some of the surf-and-turf on the spot. It tasted delicious, but about four hours later, “I’m completely feeling horrible,” said Mr. Estrada, 27. “Cramping stomach, the most horrible thing ever.”

How should I understand this "surf-and-truf"?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "Surf and turf" is the what some American restaurants calls meals consisting of fish and meat. A traditional combination is lobster and steak: this usually a fairly expensive alternative, and considered luxurious eating. Other, less expensive, alternatives are also possible.

I don't know whether this also exists in Britain.

manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    "Surf and turf" is the what some American restaurants calls meals consisting of fish and meat. A traditional combination is lobster and steak: this usually a fairly expensive alternative, and considered luxurious eating. Other, less expensive, alternatives are also possible.

I don't know whether this also exists in Britain.
    If it does, I have never heard of it.

Here, some people eat seafood/fish as a starter to a meal (whether at home or when eating out), then red meat as a main course, but to eat them at the same time is definitely not usual here.

There are all kinds of interesting cultural, economic and dietary reasons why this practice is more common in the US than it is in Europe (not to mention consequences!), but I do not know whether I am allowed to talk about them in this forum.

< Previous | Next >