surf the Internet?

< Previous | Next >

Esneider113

Spanish
Hi, Everyone

My question is the following:

I'm trying to say that after I have my lunch I'm at the computer for 2 hours. How would you natives speakers say that?

After having lunch I sit down at my computer and browse/surf the Internet.

After having lunch I sit down at my computer and I'm online for 2 hours.
After having lunch I use the computer for two hours.
and How would say when I'm at the computer and play video games as daily activity
play at the computer souns awkard to my ear

Thanks in Advance

• Cypherpunk

US, English
    First, let's get some commas in those sentences.
    Hi, Everyone

My question is the following:

I'm trying to say that after I have my lunch, I'm at the computer for 2 hours. How would you natives speakers say that? There's nothing wrong with that sentence.

After having lunch, I sit down at my computer and browse/surf the Internet. This is also fine.

After having lunch, I sit down at my computer, and I'm online for 2 hours. This is OK.
    After having lunch, I use the computer for two hours. This is also OK, but it doesn't mean the same thing as the last sentence.
    And how would say I'm at the computer and play video games as a daily activity? I play video games every day.
    Play at the computer sounds awkard to my ear. Agreed, but you could say you 'play on the computer'. It sounds a bit odd, but it is frequently used.

arueng

CHINESE
    After having lunch I sit down at my computer and surf online.

Hi,

Is "surf online" also right and about the same in meaning with "surf the Internet?" Thanks,

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    surfing is not the same as playing games.
    Surfing the internet to me means just clicking around, following from link to link, etc.

If you are also playing games during the same two hours, I'd say,
    After lunch I sit down at my computer and spend about two hours online.

arueng

CHINESE
    Thanks, joanvillafane, for your reply.
    My question is very simple: Is "surf the Internet" equivalent to "surf online?"

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    'Surf online' sounds like you are playing an online surfing game. I would stick to 'surf the web/net/internet'.

< Previous | Next >