surf the net

< Previous | Next >

unciaciapanca

italian
I want to express the idea that I belive Internet is a fantastic source to find information and I like to find my own path surfing to discover how improve my knowledge of the English language.

I honestly belive that in Internet you can find almost "anything" you need (please, do not belive I can separate the Net from reality) and I'm that kind of person that when doesn't know or understand something thinks: "let's try and find out if the Net may help me. A source of Inspiration and when I find what I need I feel as if I had a power...

Well...this is the idea I want to concentrate in a clear sentence. Do you think it's possible?

That: find my own path while surving ....it isn't English....I know.

Last edited:
  • euroroberto

English-England
    the internet is a fantasic source of information. Therefore I can improve my knowledge of the English language on my own

unciaciapanca

italian
    I prefer to emphasize that I create my own Path( if it is the right word) , that means I start to surf to find out something and than my brain should choose , click after click, the best way (web sites, contacts) to get all the information I need

kalamazoo

US, English
    That's actually kind of the definition of "surfing" the net anyway. It's the idea that you start somewhere and get carried along, just like surfing a wave. One thing leads to another and pretty soon you don't even remember exactly where you started or how you got there. So to me the word "surfing" already conveys the idea you are trying to communicate.

unciaciapanca

italian
    well.....that's interesting as an explanation!

And I see what you mean but somehow I want to tell that my research started on The internet on a web site and then I got more interested while surfing because as you told me I was on the wave and I was even having great fun!!!

George French

English - UK
    That's actually kind of the definition of "surfing" the net anyway. It's the idea that you start somewhere and get carried along, just like surfing a wave. One thing leads to another and pretty soon you don't even remember exactly where you started or how you got there. So to me the word "surfing" already conveys the idea you are trying to communicate.
    "Surfing" & communicate are very different animals. Nearly all of the time that I am using the Internet I am not communicating, I am behaving as a leach. Even when I am at this forum I am reading. When I post I often wonder whether I am broadcasting, not communicating.

GF..

kalamazoo

US, English
    That's an interesting misreading. She was trying to communicate an idea. My comment meant that I thought her idea was already being communicated by the word surfing. I didn't say that when you surfed you were trying to communicate. However I can see the ambiguity, which is actually not easy to resolve. I would have had to say something like "To me, the idea you were trying to communicate is already expressed in the word 'surfing'."

< Previous | Next >