Surface to air missile hit

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
"MCCAIN: Surface to air missile hit and took the right wing off my airplane. My airplane violently gyrated. I ejected.

GONYEA: He was knocked unconscious and landed in the lake below. That moment was portrayed in this McCain campaign film."

How do I understand "surface to air missile hit"? It feels something is missing or customarily omitted.

source: From A POW Prison, John McCain Emerged A 'Maverick'

• kentix

English - U.S.
    It is a bit confusing, as written.

A surface-to-air missile hit [my plane] and took the right wing off my airplane. My airplane violently gyrated. I ejected.

To me, the most confusing part is the missing A at the beginning and that hit is used as a verb, not a noun. It's easy to misread that at first, especially without the hyphens in surface-to-air. The [my plane] part isn't needed because he mentions his plane later in the sentence, but it would make more sense if he mentioned the plane earlier.

A surface-to-air missile hit my plane and took the right wing off. My airplane gyrated violently. I ejected.

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    How do I understand "surface to air missile hit"? It feels something is missing or customarily omitted.
    This is ordinary English. A "hit" is an impact.
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2018
    hit /hɪt/ v., hit, hit•ting, n.
    n. [countable]
    1. an impact;
      strike;
      collision:a sudden hit against a window.
    2. a blow:a direct hit.

nagomi

Korean
    This is ordinary English. A "hit" is an impact.
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2018
    hit /hɪt/ v., hit, hit•ting, n.
    n. [countable]
    1. an impact;
      strike;
      collision:a sudden hit against a window.
    2. a blow:a direct hit.

If a "hit" is an impact, it sounds like it's a noun. How can it be a sentence? it's just "a Surface to Air missile hit." and it works?

sdgraham

USA English
    If you're talking about the OP. it says the missile hit (verb) his plane and the hit took off the wing. It's all ordinary English.
    Read it as:
    "MCCAIN: Surface to air missile hit (and took the right wing off) my airplane. My airplane violently gyrated. I ejected.

nagomi

Korean
    If you're talking about the OP. it says the missile hit (verb) his plane and the hit took off the wing. It's all ordinary English.
    Read it as:
    "MCCAIN: Surface to air missile hit (and took the right wing off) my airplane. My airplane violently gyrated. I ejected.
    thank you.

< Previous | Next >