surfing the darkness

CKM367

Russian
In 'House of Batory' by Linda Lafferty, there is such a fragment:

"I’ve been Googling Jung. He is wicked intense—like he was surfing the darkness when they were just inventing cars and stuff."

Could you explain me what Jung (Carl Gustav Jung) was doing when they were just inventing cars and stuff?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    As I understand it:
    "I’ve been Googling Jung. He is wicked intense—like he was surfing the darkness when they were just inventing cars and stuff." =

"I’ve been Googling Jung. He is wicked intense—[it is as if] he were looking through the internet at the time when they were just inventing cars and stuff." =

"I’ve been Googling Jung. He is wicked intense—[it is as if] he could see into the future."

CKM367

Russian
    As I understand it:
    "I’ve been Googling Jung. He is wicked intense—like he was surfing the darkness when they were just inventing cars and stuff." =

"I’ve been Googling Jung. He is wicked intense—[it is as if] he were looking through the internet at the time when they were just inventing cars and stuff." =
    Did you substitute "darkness" with "internet"? Was that correct?

Myridon

English - US
    I think it means that he was "surfing" darkness (dark things, serious subjects) in the same way that we surf the Internet. He was spending a lot of time going from one dark topic to another.

< Previous | Next >