surfing the <inter>net

< Previous | Next >

JerryLCC

Chinese
Hello, everyone,

I have a question. That many of my students always say "I usually surfing the internet in my spare time", and I would suggest them to tell something more particular, like "I usually play online games", because I had never heared anyone say such word when I studied in America.

But Today, one of my colleagues said, "surfing the internet" was supposed to be correct. So, I am not sure, whether we do use this phrase a lot in our daily life, or it is just a kind of acadmic word from the textbook?

Thanks

Jerry

• sdgraham

USA English
    "Surfing the Internet" is a common modern English expression when used properly.

"I usually surfing the internet in my spare time" is not even close to English since sentences require a conjugated verb.

JerryLCC

Chinese
    Thanks, but what does it mean? read the news? or involved everything we usually do on the internet?

About that sentence, what if I said: I usually surf the internet in my spare time? is that correct?

Thank you sdgraham.

sdgraham

USA English
    The expression is covered in the WRD here

surf /sɜːf/n
    • waves breaking on the shore or on a reef
    • foam caused by the breaking of waves
    vb
    • (intransitive) to take part in surfing
    • (on the internet) to move freely from website to website (esp in the phrase surf the net)
    • to move freely between (TV channels or radio stations)
    • informal to be carried on top of something

I usually surf the internet in my spare time? is that correct? :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >