surgery needle

< Previous | Next >

romanamec

italian
Hi guy I m traslating something reffering a surgery, that is the phrase:
dovrebbero entrare dentro con degli elettrodi, mi fanno un paio di buchi qui,mi infilano dentro questi due spilli fino al talamo,c'è una batteria impiantata sottopelle,collegata con sottilissimi fili elettrici che percorrono la nuca, c’è gente che c’è guarita .
I would like to be clear but at the same time using tecnical words.
That is my take:
They should place inside some electrodes, they will make me a couple of holes here,they will inject these two needle up to the thalamus,there is a battery implanted under the skin, connected to thin wires that run the neck, there's people that got healed.
Any suggestion? Thanks

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hi,

dovrebbero entrare dentro con degli elettrodi,
    mi fanno un paio di buchi qui,
    mi infilano dentro questi due spilli fino al talamo,
    c'è una batteria impiantata sottopelle,
    collegata con sottilissimi fili elettrici che percorrono la nuca, c’è gente che c’è guarita .

They should be placed inside along with the electrodes,
    which will make two holes (there),
    they will be threaded through these needles up to the thalamus,
    there is a battery that is implanted under the skin,
    connected to thin wires that run under the skin of the neck,
    there are people who have been cured.

I assume this is about a thalamic stimulator for chronic pain or for Parkinson's, right?
    It seems to be written in a very colloquial style in Italian - not as technical as I would have expected.

Scopa Nuova

USA, English
    Ciao Romanamec,

What you are referring to is a fairly recent treatment for Parkinson's diseae (Malattia di Parkinson's). It has been in use in the US for about 10 years.

Parkinson's disease is a condition whereby the cells in the brain that produce a chemical called dopamine are dying. Dopamine is a transmitter chemical that tells certain receptors in the brain to relax muscles. If the muscles do not get that signal they are always tensed up and get difficult to control and sore.

The needles you are referring to are electrical probes. The neuro surgeon attaches an alignment frame to the ptient's head and obtains an MRI (magnetic resonance image) of the brain, where he locates the target areas for the probes. The target areas are either the globus pallidus internus (GPi) or the subthalamic nucleus (STN) which are deep in the brain near the base where the spinal cord attaches to the brain.

Once located, the surgeon uses the frame atached to the patients head to guide the drilling of holes into the top of the head and the insertion of the probes. The patient is awake during the process but feels no pain because the brain has no pain sensors. The surgeon needs feedback from the patient to be sure the probes are in the correct place. Two probes are implanted. One for the right side of the brain and the other for the left side.

Wires are then feed under the skin across the top of the head and down the neck behind the ear on one or both sides of the head depending on if one or two stimulators will be used. One large stimulator device is used if the patient needs to have one shoulder free for some reason. Or two smaller stimulators are used if the patient doesn't need a free shoulder.

The simulators contain long life 9 volt lithium batteries and provide pulses to the pbobes in the brain at the above mentioned target areas and must be replaced every 3 - 5 years as the batteries wear out. The pulses are supplied at the rate of 40 - 100/sec., the pulse width is about 50 - 200 Microseconds and the amplitude is 2 -5 volts all adjustable externally by the doctor with a radio transmitter. The patient is given a transmitter with limited control to turn the stimulator on or off. This is necessary because certain devices can turn the stimulator off (such as airport security) or the device must be turned off with the the use of certain equipment (such as ultra sonic body scan). The pulses signal the body to relax the muscles. Fairly good results have been obtained from this therapy.

SN :)

romanamec

italian
    Hi,

dovrebbero entrare dentro con degli elettrodi,
    mi fanno un paio di buchi qui,
    mi infilano dentro questi due spilli fino al talamo,
    c'è una batteria impiantata sottopelle,
    collegata con sottilissimi fili elettrici che percorrono la nuca, c’è gente che c’è guarita .

They should be placed inside along with the electrodes,
    which will make two holes (there),
    they will be threaded through these needles up to the thalamus,
    there is a battery that is implanted under the skin,
    connected to thin wires that run under the skin of the neck,
    there are people who have been cured.

I assume this is about a thalamic stimulator for chronic pain or for Parkinson's, right?
    It seems to be written in a very colloquial style in Italian - not as technical as I would have expected.
    FAB FAB FAB!!! Stavo per perdere ogni speranzaaaaaaaaaaa.
    It sounds perfect Thankssssss

Scopa Nuova

USA, English
    Hi guy I m traslating something reffering a surgery, that is the phrase:
    dovrebbero entrare dentro con degli elettrodi, mi fanno un paio di buchi qui,mi infilano dentro questi due spilli fino al talamo,c'è una batteria impiantata sottopelle,collegata con sottilissimi fili elettrici che percorrono la nuca, c’è gente che c’è guarita .
    I would like to be clear but at the same time using tecnical words.
    That is my take:
    They should place inside some electrodes, they will make me a couple of holes here,they will inject these two needle up to the thalamus,there is a battery implanted under the skin, connected to thin wires that run the neck, there's people that got healed.
    Any suggestion? Thanks

Nobody has been cured of Parkinson's by this procedure. It helps to relieve the symptoms of Parkinson's. You must still take medication, which normally consists of carbidopa/levodopa (generic name) and Mirapex (Brand name - not yet available in a generic form but it is pramipexole DI-HCL generically)

SN :)

< Previous | Next >