surpass a decade of reform

< Previous | Next >

maayani

Hebrew
Hello,

Similarly, as countries such as United-Kingdom, Australia and the United Stated surpass a decade of reform based on accountability, standards, and the global fixation on data-driven evaluation, there are growing concerns about its impact on the mental health of kids, parents and educators.

Can you explain me what it means exactly here: "surpass a decade"?
(Source: Hard Questions on Global Educational Change/ Policies, Practices, and the Future of Education, Pasi Sahlberg, Jonathan Hasak, Vanessa Rodriguez, 2016, page: 125)

Thanks in advance.

• Barque

Tamil
    Both words are used in their usual meanings.

From the WR dictionary:
    surpass: to go beyond in amount, extent, excellence, or degree; be greater than: She surpassed all the others.
    decade: a period of ten years: He's been on the movie scene for decades.

It means those countries have experienced a period of more than a decade during which reform as described has taken place.

sound shift

English - England
    I'm sure that Barque understands the meaning that the writers were trying to express - but "surpass a decade of reform" doesn't sound like normal usage to me in the overall context of the sentence. "Such as United-Kingdom" is definitely not normal usage, so I think that the authors may not be native speakers of English.

< Previous | Next >