surpass/transcend/exceed

< Previous | Next >

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello,
Can we use surpass in "Her beauty transcended all others." and "transcend in "His works by far surpass anything that has been done before."? What in your opinion are the nuances between them?

Do you think that "exceed" would sound good in the sentences above? I wouldn't use it.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree that in both of your sentences, either transcend or surpass would be equally acceptable, and I'd be inclined to use them as you did: transcend in the first sentence and surpass in the second; it's a matter of style, not grammar.

I also agree that "exceed" would not sound good in either sentence.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    I agree that in both of your sentences, either transcend or surpass would be equally acceptable, and I'd be inclined to use them as you did: transcend in the first sentence and surpass in the second; it's a matter of style, not grammar.

I also agree that "exceed" would not sound good in either sentence.
    There's one last sentence by Macmillan Dictionary. "India's population now surpasses that of Africa." I think that "exceed" would work here, wouldn't it? I still prefer surpass, though.
    Thank you, Parla.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    There's one last sentence by Macmillan Dictionary: "India's population now surpasses that of Africa." I think that "exceed" would work here, wouldn't it?
    Yes, it would.

I still prefer surpass, though.
    I'm not really sure which I'd use. Both work well in that sentence.

< Previous | Next >