Surpassing the three-thousand, three-hundred-metres altitude.

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
I'm writing something about Sierra Nevada, in Spain, and I was wondering if the following sentence is correct as far as the expression of altitude is concerned. "The Titans of Sierra Nevada are the gods of the “Baetic Olympus”, surpassing the three-thousand, three-hundred-metres altitude above the sea level". Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "... surpassing the three-thousand, three-hundred-metres altitude above the sea level"

1, The addition of the first the causes the sentence to sound as if there is some significance to the height of 3,300m above sea level - for example, it would leave the reader thinking that, at 3,300m, a mountain is reclassified as a "peak" (or some other word.) As far as I am aware, there is no particular significance and I would take myself to be an average reader on the subject of mountains.
    2. Surpassing is somewhat formal, but tends to fit the style you have adopted.
    3. "altitude" is not required - unless otherwise stated, any measurement of a mountain indicates its height.
    4. Sea level is uncountable by virtue of being an adpositional phrase and should not be qualified by "the".

kentix

English - U.S.
    "The Titans of the Sierra Nevada are the gods of the “Baetic Olympus”, surpassing the three-thousand, three-hundred-metre mark above sea level".

< Previous | Next >