suru shigoto

< Previous | Next >

gmlft

french
John ga suru shigoto wa muzu kashii desu.

The job that John does is difficult.

I know suru shigoto roughly means job that is done, but I find it difficult to wrap my head around that, because suru shigoto literally means "to do work", so because there is no "link" between these words I am not sure if "suru shigoto" always mean "job that is done (by someone) inferred". Any trick for me or any foreigner to better grasp this?

• frequency

Japanese
    "Suru shigoto" sounds somewhat incomplete and not often.
    There is a job and it is done by someone. I think then you need to say "someone", like you did. If you see "suru shigoto" somewhere, it's the version "someone" is omitted.

Anata ga suru shigoto wa kore desu.
    Japanese people don't like using anata, so this sentence could be "Suru shigoto wa kore desu" Or "Shite morau shigoto wa kore desu." And both are the ways avoiding using "anata". Therefore,
    "suru shigoto" always mean "job that is done (by someone) inferred"
    Always means? Yes and no.

Is my post answering your question?

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    John ga suru shigoto is a relative clause on par with “the job that John does.” Note the active conjugation. Japanese word order is very flexible but the verb always comes at the end of the sentence. If a verb appears in the text and the sentence is not yet finished, it means that the verb ends a subordinate sentence. In the exmaple above, the part John ga suru modifies shigoto (job). It’s not just a subordinate sentence but a relative clause, meaning that shigoto has to have a syntactic relationship with the verb.

The Japanese relative clause, unlike those in Latin and Romance languages, completely subsumes the case of the head noun (called the antecedent for the latter languages) in the relative clause. It is largely left to informed guesswork to find out how the noun is related to the subordinate verb. I cannot discuss all the factors for determining the case but the chances are that it is either the nominative or the accusative (the subject or the object of the verb). Since the relative clause already has the subject spelt out by John ga, shigoto is most likely the direct object of suru. This interpretation is quite natural and there is nothing in the context that prevents it.

< Previous | Next >