Survey, paper or topic?

< Previous | Next >

LadyWindermere

Catalan and Spanish
Hi everyone! I was wondering wether the word "survey" could mean the same as "paper" or "topic" in the following sentence: "(...) we shall analyse the rise of the novel in the second half of the XVIIIth century. In order to do so, this survey will be developed into seven main points." It's a kind of topic designed to be read to an audience. It's intended to be part of the introduction to refer to the paper as "survey". Thank you in advance.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    It doesn't sound quite right to me. In an academic setting, a survey of a topic is something that covers the main points that you need to know to start having a fundamental understanding of that topic. It doesn't go into great depth on any point, but talks about all the important main ideas, areas, or concepts.

To me, "developed" seems like a bad match with survey. A survey covers things already known and developed.

LadyWindermere

Catalan and Spanish
    It doesn't sound quite right to me. In an academic setting, a survey of a topic is something that covers the main points that you need to know to start having a fundamental understanding of that topic. It doesn't go into great depth on any point, but talks about all the important main ideas, areas, or concepts.

To me, "developed" seems like a bad match with survey. A survey covers things already known and developed.
    Yes, that makes totally sense to me. Thank you!

LadyWindermere

Catalan and Spanish
    Please tell us where you saw this sentence.
    I have just come across this sentence on the notes of my English teacher and I couldn't get the exact meaning because I considered "survey" as "overview" or "summary" and, certainly, it cannot be "developed". So, I suppose I'd better say paper or topic. Any other idea, please?

Egmont

English - U.S.
    In AE, at least, this is not a topic. A topic is what a paper (such as this is) or a survey is about. You could say, for example, "The topic of this paper is 19th-century efforts to grow apples in New Zealand." (I know that isn't your topic, but it could be someone else's topic.)

As already posted, a survey is broad, but not deep, coverage of an area using primarily ideas that were already published somewhere else. (This word also has another meaning, a summary of data collected by asking people what they think about a topic, but that doesn't apply here.)

< Previous | Next >