Survey wording

< Previous | Next >

A Gargantua

English, England
Hi

I'm translating a document about a survey, and have come across the following sentence:
xx% er lite trygge, ikke trygge, eller usikre på om...
I don't understand particularly what 'usikre' means here - how is it different from being 'ikke trygge'?? Any suggestions welcome. Is it 'are not very certain, are not at all certain, or do not know whether'?

Many thanks for any assistance!
A Gargantua

• winenous

English - British
    Normally trygge should be translated as safe, and usikre på om as uncertain about. Does that make sense to you? It is difficult to know without more context, but I would say certain in your translation should be safe.

Note that it is possible that trygg can mean sikker in Norwegian. But in that meaning the English translation would be safe.

A Gargantua

English, England
    Hi

Context wise, the sentence is similar to sentences such as 'xx% of respondents said that they strongly agreed or agreed somewhat that flying was less safe now than it was in the past", if this helps?

Thanks for your reply winenous.
    A Gargantua

winenous

English - British
    I'm not sure if it helps or not. If all the questions were about safety, then trygg could mean safe.

Otherwise it could possibly translate as confident?

It sounds odd to me (and my in-house Norwegian). It could be just badly written text. Perhaps a whole paragraph might help?

Svenke

Norwegian
    To me, this sounds as if "usikre på om ..." could mean 'uncertain whether ...', like winenous says.

In a survey context, I guess this could be about the same as 'don't know'?

< Previous | Next >