suspend and revoke

< Previous | Next >

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello,
I am familiar with the fact that driving licences can be suspended and if necessary revoked. When a licence is suspended its legal authority is removed for a short time and when it is revoked it is annulled. That's fine, but I thought that when something was revoked its legal authority was removed forever. It appeared that I was wrong. Apparently a licence can only be revoked for a certain amount of time. Could you please help me see the difference between them? Also, can a ban/law/act/rule be revoked? As far as I know, laws are usually repealed and then abolished.

Thank you

• Andygc

British English
    Gandalf, we clearly need some context and background here. Who says this?
    Apparently a licence can only be revoked for a certain amount of time.
    To me that's suspension, not revocation.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    Gandalf, we clearly need some context and background here. Who says this? To me that's suspension, not revocation.
    You actually answered my question, Andy. That is the difference between revoke and suspend in my opinion and when it comes to driving licences, of course. "Jack's driving licence was suspended for drunk-driving last night. I hope that he will learn from his mistake. If he doesn't it will be revoked." I hope it makes sense.

< Previous | Next >