suspend over allegations before courts of corruption

< Previous | Next >

leivev

美之大成, 汉语
In Uganda, Global Fund grants totaling $367 million were suspended over allegations — now before the courts — of corruption involving three health ministers and several aid groups.

TIME WARP

Hi folks:

In my point of view, the author is trying to say the bill is suspended over allegations by the court and swallowed

(I doubt the world is used felicitously, I would highly appreciated if you can help me to justify it) in the the corruption.

What is my question is "the suspension" by allegagtion is "were". how comes out the "now " "before court",

besides is it make sense to you when the sentence last part could be simplified as allegations of corruption?

Thank you beforehand

Regards

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    The funds were suspended because of allegations of corruption.
    These allegations are now before the court.

Is that enough for you to make sense of it?

leivev

美之大成, 汉语
    The funds were suspended because of allegations of corruption.
    These allegations are now before the court.

Is that enough for you to make sense of it?
    Much better, not even better,

World would be much easier with more people like you, and I definitely gonna love it.

Thanks a lot.:)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    At the time the report was written, the suspension event was in the past. The report is listing actions that happened in various countries, so "In Uganda, Global Fund grants totaling $367 million were suspended over allegations of corruption involving three health ministers and several aid groups." This is normal reporting language for a past event.
    The section between the dashes : now before the courts is also simply reporting that the allegations are (at the time of writing) being considered by the courts (= before the courts). A separate sentence could have been written as follows:
    Those allegations are now before (i.e. currently being considered by) the court.

Is that clearer?

< Previous | Next >