sussultarono nell'aria ferma

< Previous | Next >

pericolosi

Dutch - Belgium
Le piume dei cimieri sussultarono nell'aria ferma come a uno sbuffo di vento.

How would you translate this?
Kind regards.

• Lazzini

The rules of the forum require you to first attempt a translation. However, I've noticed that the moderators sometimes allow first-time users to get away with it, so perhaps "The feathers of the crests fluttered in the still air as if disturbed by a gust of wind".

I don't know if feathers and crests are the right words since there's little context. That's another rule - to provide context.

Last edited:

pericolosi

Dutch - Belgium
    Okay Lazzini, I've now read the rules.

The context: it's from the book "Il cavaliere inesistente" by Italo Calvino. I'm only at the first page, it's about Charlemagne en his knights.

D'un tratto, tre squilli di tromba: le piume dei cimieri sussultarono nell'aria ferma come a uno sbuffo di vento, e tacque subito quella specie di mugghio marino che s'era sentito fin qui, ed era, si vede, un russare di guerrieri incupito dalle gole metalliche degli elmi.
    My attempt now: All of a sudden, three trumpet blasts: The feathers of the crests rustled in the still air as if from a gust of wind, and immediately hushed this kind of roar that was experienced until now, which was, you see, the snoring of the warriors, covered by the metal throats of the helmets.

Should I have opened a new thread for "quella specie di mugghio marino"?

elfa

English
    Something like

...and immediately hushed the kind of roar which up till now you could hear coming from the sea, but which you could see was/which was in fact the snoring of warriors dulled by the metal throat guards of their helmets.

What kind of helmets are we talking about here? Unfortunately, I am not familiar with this book so it is really quite difficult to do an adequate translation without much wider context.

There may be a translation of this somewhere online... :)

Last edited:

elfa

English
    We're talking about una celata, or a sallet.
    It seems like "bevor" is the official title for the piece protecting the throat.
    See here
    It would be interesting to know what terms crop up in translations of this book. I don't think many readers would know what a bevor is unless there were some kind of annotation. Maybe "throat piece" or "throat guard" could be suitable alternatives...

niklavjus

Italiano (Italia)
    ...The feathers of the crests rustled in the still air as if from a gust of wind, ...
    Though I do not know what is the best translations for 'sussultare' (referred to 'feathers'), I think that the verb 'to rustle' it is not really better than 'to flutter', since it seems to me that the first implies a noise (fruscìo) here absent.

Is the action of the verb (flutter/rustle) correctly understood in "...as if from/by a gust of wind..."?

As for "quella specie di mugghio marino" and "gole metalliche" I think that, yes, it would have been better to start new threads.

pericolosi

Dutch - Belgium
    The feathers actually jump up in the air a bit, because the warriors suddenly wake-up as the trumpet blasts. In my opinion the action is correctly understood in "...as if from/by a gust of wind..."

As for the choice between 'to rustle' and 'to flutter', you are correct. 'to rustle' is no option.

< Previous | Next >