Sustituir (baja) maternity/paternity/sick leave

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Cheeky-Monkey, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Hello! I wonder which is the correct verb when speaking of a maternity/paternity/sick leave.

"Replace" sounds a little bit serious because it is supossed to be 4 or 6 months long leave and the person in leave will come back to work in his/her post so it won't be forever like "replace" sounds to me, but I still wonder if "standing in for", which it the other dictionary option would be appropiate for what I mean.

Thank you for helping and please correct my mistakes!

2. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    Hi Cheeky, welcome to the forum.

In the UK we say 'maternity/paternity cover' for a job where you replace someone only for the duration of their maternity/paternity leave (holiday).

3. bud96 Senior Member

KY, USA
    English, USA
    In the USA we say that someone is "covering" for someone else.

4. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Crug Hywel
    UK English
    I would go for cover too. I don't know that I would call either type of leave a holiday.

5. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Thank you "covering" is a good verb I used it before but i forgot ;-) So, from my understanding I could use "cover" as synonym for the noun"leave", but if I want to use "cover" as a verb it would be redundant if I use it as a noun as well, wouldn't it? --->" I'm currently covering a maternity cover". It sounds much better if I say "I'm covering a maternity leave"
    What do you think?

By thr way I agree with cirrus, it is not a holiday.

THANK YOU ALL. :)

6. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    May I say "I'm doing a maternity cover/leave" ? (I't doesn't sound right to my ears but I just ask. Thank you.

7. Masood

Masood Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    British English
    Con referencia al que está trabajando temporaral, se puede decir: I'm doing maternity cover (for <name of person>).

8. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Gracias Masood!

9. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    Or, 'My current job is a 6-month maternity cover.' is possible.

10. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Thanks, thst'd s good one, as well, Chez.

I see you all prefer the word "cover" instead "leave", may I ask why? Or it is just a personal preference? Thanks a lot.

11. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Crug Hywel
    UK English
    If you are the person going, you are on leave. The person who is there when you are absent is the one doing the cover.

12. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Ahh! I see the difference, thank you!