swarming life

chrisabe

français - Belgique
Hello, everybopdy !
My French sentence is :
La forêt recèle et en même temps manifeste une vie grouillante.
Could I translate in this way ?
The forest harbours and manifest in the same time its swarming life.
Thank you for any help !

• jmt_dh1

UK, English
    My suggestion would be "the forest hides/shelters, and at the same time reveals, the life that swarms/teems within it".
    I am not convinced that this contradiction works very well in English though; do you think the French reads well?

I think that a somewhat better English phrase might read something like "the forest hides, but may choose to reveal, the life teeming within it"... but you may feel that changes the sense of the original somewhat.

chrisabe

français - Belgique
    Thanks to you both ! The first correction is closed to the original, but I prefer the second, it sounds more English. "hides" or "shelters" are better than "harbours" ; "reveals" is better than "manifests". I had hesitated between "swarms" and "teems", but ultimately I prefer "swarms", although their senses are very closed. Nothing better than a "native", what don't prevent me to be grateful to SwissPete ! In the last version, why "may choose" ? As the forest could act as a human person… Please, tell me, jmt_dh1. Thanks in advance !

jmt_dh1

UK, English
    In the last version, why "may choose" ? As the forest could act as a human person
    As I say, that phrase was not directly translating the original. I felt that some slight change was needed to resolve the contradiction between hiding and revealing, so I was going for an idea of a "living forest" that hides what lies within it, but may choose to reveal its secrets to a patient naturalist (or something like that). Whether that is what the original author had in mind, I couldn't say without more context.

< Previous | Next >