sway towards

< Previous | Next >

bayan112

Chinese
Hi everyone

I am so confused about the exact meaning of swaying towards, pls check the sentence below:

At present i am swaying towards the idea of opening a bridal outlook

I am not so sure "sway towards" implies he's hesitating to make a decision of opening a bridal outlook or he has already made his decision to open a bridal outlook? and what's a bridal outlook? is it a shop or online store where he sells bridal stuff? can anybody use another way to express it again? so that i can fully understand it, thank you so much in advance and really sorry for my poor English

Regards

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello Bayan112. :)

As I understand it, he means that he is beginning to think that opening a 'bridal outlook' is a good idea.
    However, 'swaying towards' is an unusual way to express this.

As for the rest, I could only speculate about what a 'bridal outlook' would be. Where did you see this sentence? Who said (or wrote) this sentence? What is being discussed?

bayan112

Chinese
    Hi Cagey

thanks for your prompt reply, he's a friend (a British man) I met in a business forum and he was telling me what he has been up to, and also wondered if I could give him a hand, below is all he said,

At present i am swaying towards the idea of opening a bridal outlook -- selling discounted bridal goods, so people will know they are getting a good price.
    Is this anything you could help with?

now I assume he probably wants me to help him source some cheap bridal products here in China, but he might also mean if I am professional in the field of bridal stuff so I can offer him some advice. could you figure it out after seeing all his words?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I wonder whether he meant 'bridal outlet.' In American English, an 'outlet' would be a store where things are sold at a discount.

My first guess is that he would like you to help him buy cheap goods, but I can't be certain. If you are interested in working with him, I suggest that you write him and ask him to explain more clearly what he has in mind.

bayan112

Chinese
    yeah but if I am not incorrect, in outlet they tend to sell discounted luxury and some celebrated products, and if so, why would he bother to buy cheap products from China? want knockoff? lol, anyway, it's so nice of you to give me your above posts, I will ask him what exactly he has in mind

again, thank you very much

sdgraham

USA English
    It's always interesting when a learner asks for an "exact meaning" of a poor sentence, but nevertheless, I see it as a poor choice of words.

"Swaying" is a motion, to and fro. I think this person means "leaning toward", i.e. "inclined to favor."

"Swaying" gives me the impression that this person is suffering from approach-avoidance conflict.

"Swaying" also implies instability. Perhaps that's accurate where this person is concerned.

As a side note, please (not "pls") note that we specifically do not allow "chatspeak" (including "lol") here lest other learners confuse it with standard English.

Please also note that in English, we capitalize the first letter of the first word in each sentence.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think I might have heard it before. It's a kind of a mix of 'incline towards', and 'sway' (meaning influence or persuade).

bayan112

Chinese
    It's always interesting when a learner asks for an "exact meaning" of a poor sentence, but nevertheless, I see it as a poor choice of words.

"Swaying" is a motion, to and fro. I think this person means "leaning toward", i.e. "inclined to favor."

"Swaying" gives me the impression that this person is suffering from approach-avoidance conflict.

"Swaying" also implies instability. Perhaps that's accurate where this person is concerned.

As a side note, please (not "pls") note that we specifically do not allow "chatspeak" (including "lol") here lest other learners confuse it with standard English.

Please also note that in English, we capitalize the first letter of the first word in each sentence.
    OK, thanks for your explanations and your kind reminders, I will be more careful to avoid making the same mistakes again.

< Previous | Next >