Sway vs. wiggle vs. swing

< Previous | Next >

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
One foot of this chair is shorter than the others. It causes “sway” or “wiggle” or “swing” problem when a person sits on it.

Are the all correct? Thank you.

• jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    Which do you think is/are correct, jokaec? Once we know your thinking, we can help you better.
    I think probably "wiggle" is the only correct one. I got to know "sway" is a slow action and "swing" is equally right and left action. Am I right?

london calling

UK English
    I'd use 'wobble' too. Chairs wobble, tables wobble... And so do bridges! The Milennium Bridge in London is known by locals as 'The Wobbly Bridge' , because when it was opened it swayed a little too much for people's comfort, so it had to be modified. The name has stuck: I myself had to think twice when someone asked for directions to The Millennium Bridge....

Last edited:

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    I'd use 'wobble' too. Chairs wobble, tables wobble... And so do bridges! The Milennium Bridge in London is known by locals as 'The Wobbly Bridge' , because when it was opened it swayed a little too much for people's comfort, so it had to be modified. The name has stuck: I myself had to think twice when someone asked for directions to The Millennium bridge....
    :thumbsup:
    Thank you both, London calling and Florentia52.

< Previous | Next >