swearing

Lucretia

Russian
Hello!
There are a lot of threads on swearing. It would take ages to read them all, I’ve read a few. Please, just one question:
I can’t help wondering when I see an American film – is swearing really so widespread and universal among all walks of life there?
Thank you.

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    That surely depends on the film you are watching.
    Some sectors of any society tend to use more earthy language than others, but is it all 'swearing'? It is to the more refined ear, but to the people who use "bloody" and "effing" in virtually every other sentence, it isn't. They have different views on what constitutes swearing.

Your question is akin to "How long is a piece of string?".

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hello!
    There are a lot of threads on swearing. It would take ages to read them all, I’ve read a few. Please, just one question:
    I can’t help wondering when I see an American film – is swearing really so widespread and universal among all walks of life there?
    Thank you.

It's not just in America either, Lucretia. The "F" word has become a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, you name it. It's a pet peeve of mine to sit in a pub or lounge and listen to it being used in a conversation every second word. I'm told by users that it's just a "bad habit" but I would almost guarantee that they wouldn't use it if their mothers were in the room!

In answer to your question, it's not used in all walks of life in Canada - just by those folks who either think it's smart (as in "trendy", believe it or not) or who have limited vocabularies and can't think of any other words.

rsweet

English, North America
    The "F" word is not heard nearly as much in my daily life as it is in films. I think a lot of times films exaggerate the use of swear words because they often are showing highly charged emotional scenes. If I were robbing a bank, dealing with a group of gang bangers, or had a gun shoved in my face, I would probably use the "F" word, too! :D