sweat and strain

zita beretta

France - French
Hi everybody,
What about "sweat and strain"? Is it an idiom ?(I did not find in my hundreds of books about french and english idioms!)
Verses :
You and me we always sweat and strain
You look for sun I look for rain
I suggest two different meanings :
- A The situation is difficult = toi et moi nous suons sang et eau
- B We are totally different, you and me, and go in opposite directions = toi et moi c'est à hue et à dia.
I think the B solution might be the good one.
Merci d'avance

• funnyhat

American English
    Hi everybody,
    What about "sweat and strain"? Is it an idiom ?(I did not find in my hundreds of books about french and english idioms!)
    Verses :
    You and me we always sweat and strain
    You look for sun I look for rain
    I suggest two different meanings :
    - A The situation is difficult = toi et moi nous suons sang et eau :tick:

The verb "sweat" is often used figuratively, to talk about going through something frustrating and stressful.

"Strain" is similar, although it usually implies some physical discomfort as well.

zita beretta

France - French
    :) Thank you funnyhat. But could you tell me if it is a standard idiom, (to associate those two words,) or if it is a personal creation of the author ? (it will change my translation...)
    merci d'avance

funnyhat

American English
    I don't think it's quite a fixed expression, but it is fairly common in oral language to use two words of very similar meaning together, as in this case.

zita beretta

France - French
    I've found what it is! It is a quotation of "Ol Man River", that's why it sounded familiar to me.
    You an' me, we sweat an' strain,
    Body all achin' and racked with pain.
    "Tote that barge! Lift that bale!"
    Git a little drunk,
    An' you lands in jail!

I'm very proud to have found it, so, the americans, what are you doing ?:p :)

< Previous | Next >