sweated a lot / sweated a little bit

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello:

In this bikeforum(by alexdrozd 08-18-09, 11:34 AM):My back always hurt on my Bachetta Giro 26 SWB, especially going fast down bumpy roads. The bumps would transfer directly into my back making it very uncomfortable. Plus my back sweated a lot more even with the Euromesh seat.

In the above context, is the above bold phrase idiomatic here? Or should it be changed to "my back got sweaty a lot"?

Thank you.

• ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
    Hello:

I have another question in the bikeforum(tarwheel 02-21-08, 02:06 PM):
    However, the Amfibs are very warm. I've worn them in temperatures down to 17F and even then my legs sweated a little bit. They are too warm for temperatures above 40F for me, unless I'm riding very easy.

Is it idiomatic to say "my legs sweated a little bit" ?

Thank you again.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Or should it be changed to "my back got sweaty a lot"?
    It should not. The meaning of "it got sweaty a lot" leans more towards "it got sweaty on many occasions" than towards "it got very sweaty", I feel.
    I think what the writer is saying is "more sweaty", not "sweaty more often".

Important: Notice that in your original text the word "more" is part of the construction: Plus my back sweated a lot more even with the Euromesh seat.
    This means that "even with the Euromesh seat" (i.e. despite using the Euromesh seat), his back sweated much more when riding his Bachetta Giro 26 SWB than (presumably) whatever he had been accustomed to before.

< Previous | Next >