Sweden: Förr skall

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Billeeb, Dec 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Billeeb

Billeeb New Member

Stockholm, Sweden
    Spanish - Chile
    I have found this, and I'm pretty sure is a kind of "expression", cause the translators get mad trying to translate it:

"Förr skall solen borttappa sitt sken".

I know the ways of "förr", but, what I can't grasp is the way skall is used beside it. Google says it's "Sooner" (the way it is written is lyrical so I get the idea but I'm not sure if that's the best translation).

Thanks!

2. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Hejsan! This is a poetic, old fashioned, way of saying "The sun will stop shining before that happens".

3. Billeeb

Billeeb New Member

Stockholm, Sweden
    Spanish - Chile
    Ok, så att detta betyder:
    "Sooner the sun will stop shining" som google föreslog. Mmm.

Kontext:
    "Förr skall solen borttappa sitt sken.
    Förr skall skogen bli förvandlad till en duva.
    Innan jag dig min vän överger."

Det är en text från en av Garmarnas sång som heter Bläck. Och ja, precis, de sjunger på gammal svenska ;)

4. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Japp, du har rätt!

5. Galant Elefant New Member

Uppsala, Sweden
    Swedish
    I second what's been said earlier in this thread.

I just feel the need to clarify one thing: the way they put this ("förr ska...") is nothing that is used in everyday Swedish language, neither written nor spoken. As stated above: it's poetic, old fashioned Swedish. It could be good to know when reading lyrics and poetry, but other than that it's not to be used nowadays. As a user of other language forums on Wordreference, I sometimes miss comments like this. Sometimes there's no way for me, as a non-native speaker, to get a feeling for the level or the style of some wording...