Swedish: avgiftsfri tak

Rejzko

A man speaks about getting car parts from a man in Germany. He holds a tablet in his hand. Then he says this:

Bilar, ja. Nu tror jag att man kan få lite... Nästan så här avgiftsfri tak på flera tusen. Kolla.

Is it "a very cheap loft, only for several thousand"? Or "a loft where you do not pay much for electricity, gas etc"? Or something else?

• Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    Avgiftsfri tak makes no sense at all (whether grammatically or semantically), and tak never means ‘loft’ (although the term takvåning exists). It seems to me that this is the Norwegian word avgiftsfritak (in Swedish usually skattebefrielse, but also avgiftsbefrielse), which means ‘tax exemption’ or ‘duty exemption’. This is a big thing in Scandinavia in regard to electric vehicles specifically, but nowhere more so than in Norway. A Norwegian speaking, perhaps?

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    I think you should provide more context since it isn't proper Swedish. But if Segorian's hunch is correct then it seems likely that the buyer won't have to pay tax on several thousand spent because of that "ceiling" ("tak"). Once you're above the "ceiling" taxes begin to be applied.

That's my best guess.

Thanks Segorian!

raumar

Norwegian
    If this is the Norwegian word "avgiftsfritak", it has nothing to do with "tak" as in ceiling. "Fritak" means "excemption". If this is about "fritak", my guess would be that he wouldn't have to pay VAT because the car parts are bought abroad (or something like that).

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    If this is the Norwegian word "avgiftsfritak", it has nothing to do with "tak" as in ceiling. "Fritak" means "excemption". If this is about "fritak", my guess would be that he wouldn't have to pay VAT because the car parts are bought abroad (or something like that).
    So just for the sake of me learning something for a change;

When you say "tak" in that word has nothing to do with a ceiling, does this mean that it doesn't matter how much this particular item would cost it would never have VAT?

In Swedish "tag" comes form "taga" or "ta" - "to take" in English - which makes me wonder if that is where the word comes from (i.e. 'freetake', take (buy) it free from fees/taxes)?

raumar

Norwegian
    When you say "tak" in that word has nothing to do with a ceiling, does this mean that it doesn't matter how much this particular item would cost it would never have VAT?
    :thumbsup: Yes.

In Swedish "tag" comes form "taga" or "ta" - "to take" in English - which makes me wonder if that is where the word comes from (i.e. 'freetake', take (buy) it free from fees/taxes)?
    :thumbsup: Yes, that's right. Like "unntak" (Norwegian) = "undantag" (Swedish).

< Previous | Next >