Swedish: Då går jag in... så.

Rejzko

A line in a tv series: "Jag har ju läggning för det (i.e. matte). Det där naturvetenskapliga, det logiska tänkandet, det kommer helt naturligt för mig. Alltså de okända domänerna - hjärnan, rymden - det vi egentligen inte kan omfatta, det känner jag att jag har tillgång till på nåt sätt. "Vad vet vi - ingenting", då går jag in... så.

I have the English translation of the line and it goes: "We know nothing. That's my cue."

I wonder if it means literally "I am going in" or "I am going now" because then the speaker and his son go to the house. It is a bit confusing as it is all in one sentence, like it had something to do with "We know nothing."

• Rejzko

It's the tv series Gösta, ep. 2, almost at the end. The two men a psychologist and his father who has arrived to visit him take father's things from the car to the psychologist's hut in the country. In one of the boxes there are father's old maths tests. The son wonders why maths tests and the father says the line about his relation to natural sciences. When he finishes they go to the hut. The father is qiute a strange person.

raumar

Norwegian
    It is difficult to be certain about this without watching the TV series and hearing exactly how this is said, seeing gestures they make, and so on. But my guess would be that "då går jag in" is figurative, and indeed related to "We know nothing". I would guess that "Vad vet vi - ingenting", då går jag in ...så means something like "If we know nothing about a field, I go in for it. Just like this!"

Another interpretation is that this is literally about walking into the hut. But in that case I would expect a full stop before "då går jag in" in the written text - and a pause before "då går jag in" in the spoken words. How is this said, Rejzko?

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    I have to agree with raumar that it's near impossible to figure this out without watching. That type of language to me is a bit annoying and ugly to be frank, and it is hard to understand (obviously) at times. I would tend to look at it as having a literal meaning actually. They talk, and then he makes the comment, and then they physically go inside a hut.

"då går jag in" literally means "I'm going in then", so if he then goes in... I mean... feels like that's what it means.

But again, without viewing it it's difficult to tell, and the last "så" is odd without hearing it.

Rejzko

It is difficult to be certain about this without watching the TV series and hearing exactly how this is said, seeing gestures they make, and so on. But my guess would be that "då går jag in" is figurative, and indeed related to "We know nothing". I would guess that "Vad vet vi - ingenting", då går jag in ...så means something like "If we know nothing about a field, I go in for it. Just like this!"

Another interpretation is that this is literally about walking into the hut. But in that case I would expect a full stop before "då går jag in" in the written text - and a pause before "då går jag in" in the spoken words. How is this said, Rejzko?
    He says it without a pause, so I think it is probably figurative.

< Previous | Next >