Swedish: Da waren übelst die Enten / There were a lot of ducks (informal)

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by marisobsession, Apr 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. marisobsession New Member

Germany (Saxony)
    UdSSR, Russian
    Hey guys!

One of my German friends who loves talking rather informal said: "Da waren übelst die Enten!". I was wondering - is there a way of translating "übelst" (informal way of saying "a lot of") in Swedish? Or is this only a German expression? How would you translate the entire sentence? Thank you a lot!

2. María Madrid

María Madrid Banned

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish Spain
    You could say "en massa", which is quite informal. Det var en massa ankor could be a possibility. Hope this helps. :)

3. Vikingo

Vikingo Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    I'm not Swedish, but if I understand your German correctly, I would guess that "jäkligt många" could fit the bill. Let's see what the others say ;)

4. Wilma_Sweden

Wilma_Sweden Senior Member

Lund, Sweden
    Swedish (Scania)
    I don't know any German either, but I'll throw in my suggestions anyway:

Där var sjukt mycket ankor.

Adding to María's suggestion, en himla massa ankor. Some other suggestions: supermånga, seriöst mycket, en helvetes massa. These are the most informal quantifiers I can think of.

/Wilma

5. Vikingo

Vikingo Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    According to my German dictionary, "übel" means bad, evil, nauseous. But isn't "jäkligt" or even "jävligt" used anymore in Sweden? We use it very much in Norway: "jævlig mye/mange". It's of a very colloquial register, though.

6. Wilma_Sweden

Lund, Sweden
    Swedish (Scania)
    Sorry, Vikingo, I should have made it clear that your suggestions are of course valid, too: both jäkligt and jävligt are used widely. I would put them in the swearing register in terms of style, together with helvete and any other reference to the devil and his realm.

Some combination with värsta also comes to mind, such as värsta ankskocken, värsta ankinvasionen. This is a relatively new way of using the superlative meaning worst, and certainly also very informal.

/Wilma

7. María Madrid

María Madrid Banned

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish Spain
    I also thought the original question was about colloquial yet neutral ways to say "there were a lot of ducks". If the poster wanted to know how to say something like "there were so many fucking ducks" I wouldn't have suggested "en massa ankor". Saludos, :)

8. Wilma_Sweden

Lund, Sweden
    Swedish (Scania)
    "Colloquial" and "rather informal" were the key words, and they were understood differently by each of us. I simply followed suit and, in a fit of enthusiasm, came up with those that occurred to me, and I sincerely hope that I haven't confused marisobsession too much. If that is the case, let me be the first to offer my apologies!

/Wilma