Swedish: den studievana eleven

Perseas

Greek
Hi all,
This sentence is from a book for Swedish learners:
"Materialet har en snabb progression och är tänkt för den studievana eleven i och utanför Sverige."

I couldn't find "studievana" in the dictionary, but I think it's an adjective here. My understanding of "den studievana eleven" is something like "the styding student", but I don't think that this makes any sense. I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks in advance.

• MattiasNYC

Swedish
    "vana" is "habit". "Vara van vid" is "Being used to".

So in the context of the sentence it seems to say that the content/material is progressing rapidly, and therefore it is aimed at students that are used to studying. In other words if you're for example in your 30's and have only very basic education that ended when you were 16 or 17 years old, then it might not be for you. But if you have been studying a lot or at the very least recently and learning/studying is something you're used to or good at then this material is for you.

I would guess that there are principles of learning that the authors are using and if you're not used to them you won't learn as easily using the book.

That's how I interpret it.

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Just to be clear:

- The "issue" isn't that the book is teaching "advanced Swedish".. it's not about the level of language...

- The "issue" is about how it is teaching..

Perseas

Greek
    Thank you very much for your detailed answer! So I think it makes perfect sense now.

The fact that the material is progressing rapidly means, in my opinion, that the material at the end of the book is very advanced as compared to the beginning, and as a result only a student who is used to styding can follow this progress. Thanks again.

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    I think you could be right about that. It could also be that a "thinner" book covers the same material faster with less detailed explanations perhaps and less repetition compared to a slower, "thicker" book.

Either way I think we got the idea of what was important.

< Previous | Next >