Swedish: "Denna bok fick mig i julklapp"(?)

dimhollow

Polish
1. Denna bok fick jag i julklapp.
2. Denna bok fick mig i julklapp.

I know the 1st sentence means "I got this book as a Christmas present."
But the 2nd sentence obviously has a nuance to it.
"Denna bok fick mig i julklapp."("This book got me as a Christmas present")
Does this kind of structure used at all in everyday speech?

Thanks!
dimhollow

• raumar

Norwegian
    I am not really sure if I understand your question. The structure of your second sentence seems OK, but the meaning is pure nonsense. Have you seen this second sentence somewhere, and if so, where?

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Yeah, I don't know if the structure itself is commonly used, but surely it'd be correctly understood as long as the sentence wasn't nonsensical. You could say for example that "My girlfriend got me as a birthday present" if the context was that you were living far apart for most of the year and you made a surprise visit on her birthday. That would make sense in context and linguistically I think ("Min flickvän fick mig i födelsedagspresent").

I think a slightly different meaning would perhaps be to use "fick mig" to mean "made me (do something)", for example:

"Hans ansiktsuttryck fick mig att förstå att han ljög" - "His facial expression made me understand that he was lying".

So that's using the same words "fick mig" but the meaning is different. My hunch is that if we sort of ignore structure the second example would be more common in everyday speech. So that's a focus on just the words themselves.

Was that what you meant?

dimhollow

Polish
    Yeah, I don't know if the structure itself is commonly used, but surely it'd be correctly understood as long as the sentence wasn't nonsensical. You could say for example that "My girlfriend got me as a birthday present" if the context was that you were living far apart for most of the year and you made a surprise visit on her birthday. That would make sense in context and linguistically I think ("Min flickvän fick mig i födelsedagspresent").

I think a slightly different meaning would perhaps be to use "fick mig" to mean "made me (do something)", for example:

"Hans ansiktsuttryck fick mig att förstå att han ljög" - "His facial expression made me understand that he was lying".

So that's using the same words "fick mig" but the meaning is different. My hunch is that if we sort of ignore structure the second example would be more common in everyday speech. So that's a focus on just the words themselves.

Was that what you meant?
    yes, få means to get, so I can simply say something like This book I've got as a Christmas present.
    But I also came across 3 instances where I'm not doing the action, seemingly:

En av kawasakis nya zx10r-08 fick mig i julklapp. (here he means some kind of motorcycle. My guess that it was given to him, but the giver isn't really specified)
    Min fru fick mig i julklapp av sin bästa kompis. (I guess it means that my wife got it for me from her friend)
    Pappa och mamma fick mig i julklapp. (here the parents are doing the action)

Ansku89

Finnish
    yes, få means to get, so I can simply say something like This book I've got as a Christmas present.
    But I also came across 3 instances where I'm not doing the action, seemingly:

En av kawasakis nya zx10r-08 fick mig i julklapp. (here he means some kind of motorcycle. My guess that it was given to him, but the giver isn't really specified)
    Min fru fick mig i julklapp av sin bästa kompis. (I guess it means that my wife got it for me from her friend)
    Pappa och mamma fick mig i julklapp. (here the parents are doing the action)
    In my opininon these are all playful expressions that twist the normal meaning. It's upside down on purppose.

The first example means that the motorcycle got him, it's new owner, as a Christmas present. The motorcycle is treated like a person here, and the human involved is a present for it.

The second one means that they started dating on Christmas, the person who tells this was probably dating current wife's best friend before this, and the best friend dumped them just before Christmas, giving the current wife a chance to start a relationship with them. So making this person available was a "Christmas present" from the friend.

The third one is said by someone who was born on or around Christmas. They were a Christmas present to their parents - a relatively common thing to say about a December baby.

In all these cases the person speaking IS the present to someone/something (motorcycle, wife, parents).