Swedish dentures/false teeth

dimhollow

Polish
I'm using an Assimil course for learning Swedish, a well known French method, but I'm sometimes not sure about their choices of vocabulary. I've now got to the sentence: "Pensionärerna tappar nästan garnityret när de grips av panik." Which I assume means "The pensioners nearly lose [all] their dentures (false teeth sets) as they panic." I scoured the internet and hardly found garnityr as a stand-alone word meaning "a set of false teeth", but it did come up as the compound word "tandgarnityr", so maybe it's just abbreviated colloquially?. Otherwise I found the word "tandprotes". So which one is actually used in daily life?

• dimhollow

Polish
    I'm using an Assimil course for learning Swedish, a well known French method, but I'm sometimes not sure about their choices of vocabulary. I've now got to the sentence: "Pensionärerna tappar nästan garnityret när de grips av panik." Which I assume means "The pensioners nearly lose [all] their dentures (false teeth sets) as they panic." I scoured the internet and hardly found garnityr as a stand-alone word meaning "a set of false teeth", but it did come up as the compound word "tandgarnityr", so maybe it's just abbreviated colloquially?. Otherwise I found the word "tandprotes". So which one is actually used in daily life?

So the question is basically: if you want to say "a set of false teeth" (a denture) in Swedish, do you use the word garnityr?

Last edited:

Swedish Anna

Swedish, Sweden
    Hejsan! Garnityr is a humorous way of saying false teeth (or sometimes real teeth). The neutral word that is always correct to use is tandprotes. Löständer is more informal, but very common. I would say löständer, but not if I was talking to a dentist, then I would say tandprotes.

dimhollow

Polish
    Hejsan! Garnityr is a humorous way of saying false teeth (or sometimes real teeth). The neutral word that is always correct to use is tandprotes. Löständer is more informal, but very common. I would say löständer, but not if I was talking to a dentist, then I would say tandprotes.
    Wow, thank you so much for your great reply :)

AutumnOwl

Swedish, Finnish
    Today garnityr can be seen as humorous, but according to SAOB (Svenska akademins ordbok) it was used about 100 years earlier than tandprotes for false teeth.

dimhollow

Polish
    Today garnityr can be seen as humorous, but according to SAOB (Svenska akademins ordbok) it was used about 100 years earlier than tandprotes for false teeth.

I see. So tandprotes is the standard and rather formal, löständer is colloquial and informal, and when talking jokingly for example about elder pensioners who lose their teeth we would use garnityr.

AutumnOwl

Swedish, Finnish

dimhollow

Polish
    Garnityr can also be used about ordinary teeth, for example here about hippopotamus teeth, Däggdjurens bett: framtänder, hörntänder, kindtänder. Mjölktänder - Lunds universitet
    It can also be used (often a bit disparingly) as kritvitt garnityr about bleached or capped teeth.
    Garnityr also means a set of jewelry made in the same style, such as some of the Swedish royal jewels. Svenska kungahusets smycken

Oh, so garnityr could also be used normally, not just humorously. They also mention human teeth, real ones, on the Lunds universitet website.