Swedish: Det är många som kommer att vinna över dig

Rejzko

Hello, I have a line in a tv series that is not quite clear to me.

Daniela is the girlfriend of a policeman (Roland) who prefers his job to his family. When he investigates a crime in which the foreign minister is involved, Daniela's daughter is kidnapped. Daniela wants to negotiate her daughter's release with the minister (who has probably ordered the kidnapping of her daughter). The foreign minister seems to be well informed about her private life:). He says:

"Sluta ljuga för dig själv. Du har valt att tro på Roland. Men han har aldrig funnits där för dig. Inte då och inte nu. Det är många som kommer att vinna över dig, Daniela. För du har det inte i dig."

Does he say that many people (men) will take advantage of her because she is not so good (strong)? Or does it mean they will "win her heart, even if they are not worth it"? Or simply that many people will win over her (beat her)?

Later her boyfriend and his colleague take hold of the minister and treat him very brutally in which Daniela takes part saying: "Tror du, att jag har det inte i mig?"

• Obolensky

swedish - Sweden
    I think this option is the most likely:

”Does he say that many people (men) will take advantage of her because she is not so good (strong)?”

But, maybe not ”take advantage of her”; she just doesn’t have a general predisposition in matters of that kind; ”För du har det inte i dig”.

Rejzko

Maybe even literally "win". Earlier, her boyfriend also remebered their trip to Paris where a thief wanted to rob her but did not succeed because she fought him back. So she seems wek but finally she always proves to be strong.

raumar

Norwegian
    Maybe even literally "win".
    Yes, this is how I read it. Not "win over you" as in a match between two contestants, but I think the point the minister makes is that Daniela is weak and that she easily can be defeated or broken down. That is what he believes at that point, even if it later turns out that he has underestimated her. As Obolensky says, that fits with the last line ”För du har det inte i dig” (Because you don't have what it takes).

< Previous | Next >