Swedish: Different Accents

PABLO DE SOTO

Spain Spanish
I would like to know which are the main differences of pronunciation among the different regional accents in Swedish.

Do we all pronounce "skjorta" the same way I use to hear in Stockholm?.

Tack.

• jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
    You'll have to wait for others to detail pronounciation in different regions in Sweden, but I can tell you that both intonation and pronounciation in the Swedish spoken in Finland differs from most of the Swedish variants (the closest is probably that of Norrland, and anyway, in Finland too there are variations, of course).

Skjorta, which in so-called "standard" Swedish (rikssvenska) often sounds like a little like "jurta" if written in Spanish ortography, except for a longer vowel sound of 'o' and a softer 'j' (more s-sounding), here would be a clear sch-sound (sje-sound).
    "Tjäna" (earn) has a harder tj-sound around here, comparable to the Spanish 'ch' (as in "choque"). Words ending in -tion also have this tj-sound (although not so much in the Ostrobotnia region), for example "demonstration", whereas in Sweden-Swedish (again, the so-called "standard") it would be more j-sounding ('demonstra/j/ún'). These are only a few of the differences (which anyway don't impair understanding).

(I'm afraid I don't know the actual phonetical alphabet, so I can only make these rather clumsy explanations.)

Neutrino

Swedish
    There are some differences...
    In Stockholm and in the most parts of sweden you don't pronounce the "r" at all. And the "t" is pronounced with the tip of the tounge closer to the throat. But in the southern parts of sweden you do pronunce the "r" and it sounds almost like the r:s in France (deep back in the throat).

Lugubert

And the "t" is pronounced with the tip of the tounge closer to the throat.
    Some regions use a "normal" t, others use like hinted above a retroflex sound.

The initial may sound like the German sch sound (IPA "long s"), but I think the majority uses IPA "hooktop heng": http://web.uvic.ca/hrd/ipa/images/matted/0267.gif, described for example as a "rounded post-alveolar & velar fricative" or "Simultaneous voiceless postalveolar and velar fricative"

< Previous | Next >