Swedish: en föreställning på en viss dag och plats

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Matron, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Matron Senior Member

Surrey, UK
    English - England
    Hey - and last one...

I'm just struggling with this - not sure I have got it right as doesn't make too much sense to me...

My effort: Examples of a defined utility are performance on a given day and place or supply of electricity or district heating for a specific time.

Is performance definitely right here?

Context
    Enligt prisinformationslagens bestämmelser ska prisinformation lämnas för bestämda varor genom uppgift om både pris och jämförpris. För andra produkter än sådana varor, dvs. bestämda tjänster och nyttigheter, ska prisinformation lämnas genom uppgift om produktens pris. Exempel på bestämda tjänster kan vara frisörtjänster, kemtvätt och restaurangtjänster. Exempel på en bestämd nyttighet är en föreställning på en viss dag och plats eller leveranser av elenergi eller fjärrvärme under en specifik tid.

Page 6/20 - Para. 2 - swedish consumer agency guidance - here

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  2. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Oh no, the last one! This means I have to get back to my own work. :)A movie with 1 100 subtitles is waiting to be translated...

Yep! A performance is right, but you could perhaps write show instead to avoid misunderstandings. (Otherwise people might think it means the performance of a car etc...)

3. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    I see now that you wrote "performance" not "a performance", so maybe you were thinking of the perfomance of machines etc...and were confused beacause of that.
    You should think theatre, circus, ballet, magic shows, cabaret, musicals etc here. That's the kind of perfomance they mean. So "a show" is more clear.

4. Matron Senior Member

Surrey, UK
    English - England
    Thanks again Swedish Anna! - Wow sounds full on!

Ah thanks - I'm not sure how that relates to a utility though!? Or have I misunderstood "nyttighet" - I was thinking utility in terms of gas/ water/ electricity...

5. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    . Seems a bit odd that they use nyttighet. Utilities would normally be a good translation of nyttighet. But they included shows, so maybe services?

6. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    In Swedish (at least finlandssvenska), nyttighet can be any good or service, not just the ones that are called utilities in English (even though morphologically nyttig+het = utile+ity)

I think the person who wrote the Swedish brochure is actually misusing the word when he or she is trying to distinguish tjänster from nyttigheter as if they are different categories.

7. Matron Senior Member

Surrey, UK
    English - England
    Yeah - it is confusing - I would have thought shows would have been included under the examples for services? That's why I thought it was "performance" in relation to the electricity/ heating (like maybe a reading).

Also in this case, they have distinguished between goods and then services/ utlities; "For products other than such goods..." - so I assume they don't mean goods within meaning of "nyttighet"...