Swedish: enligt ovan

gepeta

Spanish - Spain
Good night. I'm sorry that my Swedish is not good enough to write in this language.
I'd like to know the meaning of "enligt ovan" in the following sentence:
"X bemöter email enligt ovan"
This is an item from a list of facts regarding some legal proceedings. An email is mentioned above, but I'm not sure if the meaning is: "X replies to email as mentioned above" or "X replies to above-mentioned email"
Thanks a lot for your time

• Parlons Suédois

Swedish
    Hard to say for certain without seeing the entire text.

Normally, I would say "enligt ovan" means "according to what was written earlier", which would make sense if it was preceded by, for example, some thoughts about what should be in the reply. Since that seems not to be the case, my guess would be that the intention is to say "X replies to the above-mentioned email".

gepeta

Spanish - Spain
    Hi, Parlons Suédois. Actually there are some previous thoughts that might be construed as being repeated in X's reply. So since "according to what was written earlier" is the usual meaning for "enligt ovan", as you say, I'll go for that. Thanks a lot for your help.

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    gepeta,

It would help if you could give more context since that might be necessary to understand the meaning in this case. What is written before/after?

gepeta

Spanish - Spain
    Hi, MattiasNYC. This is a series of emails between a real estate agent and his client. The client is giving an account of such emails.
    The client (X) explains the contents of one of his own emails (in the third person):
    -"X upprepar att annonsen måste komma upp på nytt"
    -After that, the client goes on to explain, the agent replies with another email, but "Innehåll är inte av konkret intresse"
    -After that, the client "bemöter email enligt ovan och ber (...)" (the rest is not interesting for this translation).

I think "enligt ovan" may refer to the client's own previous comment about re-posting the ad, or maybe it means "replies to ABOVE EMAIL", "above email" being previous "uninteresting" email from the agent.
    I'm sorry I can't give more context because of confidentiality. I think this is the most pertinent information regarding context. Thanks a lot for your help

< Previous | Next >