Swedish equivalent of "National Board of Occupational Health"

risingmoon

Mexican spanish
Good evening. I need to translate the name of the thread into Spanish, but you can answer me in English. The name of the institution is found in the following paragraphs of the article by Leymann and Gustafsson Mobbing at Work and the Development of Post-traumatic Stress Disorders (1996):

“In the autumn of 1993, the Swedish National Board of Occupational Safety and Health stipulated a ruling of legal character which forbids psychosocial victimization (mobbing) at the workplace (AFS, 1993). (…).
(…)
In connection with the Work Environment Fund's (AMFO) large investment in a research project concerning social expulsion, mobbing, and victimization at work in the labour market, an interview series employing the LIPT-method (Leymann, 1990) was included in one of the national representative investigations (Leymann, 1992a). This sample included 2428 subjects. Analyses revealed that 350 of these had been subjected to mobbing. The individuals replied to questions regarding a number of stress symptoms chosen from neurological questionnaires in use at the Department of Neurology at the Swedish National Board of Occupational Health Research Institute. For each symptom, the interviewed individual had to state whether he or she had had the symptom during the last 12 months (…).”

In order to make an appropriate translation, my question is about whether the name is correct, if maybe it was involuntarily shortened or if they are two different institutions.

Swedish​
English​
Spanish​
Arbetarskyddsstyrelsen
National Board of
Occupational Safety and Health​
Junta Nacional de Seguridad y Salud Laboral​
¿?​
National Board [¿Institute?] of
Occupational Health​
¿?​

¿Do exist (or did existed) the Department of Neurology at the Swedish National Board of Occupational Health Research Institute?

I searched for information, for example, here (first pharagraph) and specially here (“A few historical notes” section), and I suspect that in fact there were two different institutions. Thus, I suppose that the right name is found in the second source.

¿Confirmations, corrections, suggestions?

¡Thanks in advance for your support!

• risingmoon

Mexican spanish
    Good day. Is this useful in any way to find the answers?

"1987. Forskningen lyfts ut ur Arbetarskyddsstyrelsen

Arbetsmiljöinstitutet bildas och arbetsmiljöforskningen bildar egen myndighet. Uppdraget kommer senare att utvidgas till att omfatta arbetslivsfrågor i ett bredare perspektiv. Arbetslivsinstitutet, som inrättas 1995, svarar för ett omfattande nationellt arbetslivsbibliotek och bedriver även skyddsombudsutbildningar."

Taken from the official website of the Arbetsmiljöverket.

Thanks in advance, again.

raumar

Norwegian
    The answer seems clear from the sources you provided: one section within a larger institution 1972-1987, two separate institutions 1987-2007.

1972: the Research Institute became a section within the National Board of Occupational Safety and Health.

1987: the Research Institute became a separate institution, called Arbetsmiljöinstitutet. In English: National Institute of Occupational Health.

1996: the Research Institute was merged with other research organizations. The new Research Institute covered a broader field of research. New name: Arbetslivsinstitutet. In English: National Institute for Working Life.

2007: the government closed the institute.

There must have been a Department of Neurology within the Research Institute. This departement may have existed throughout all these organizational changes, or only during some periods - your sources don't tell us anything about that.

risingmoon

Mexican spanish
    Thank you very much, raumar. Yes, the sources don't clarify certain details, that's why I created the thread. Based on your own interpretation, it seems that the answer is similar to my guess:

Swedish National Board of Occupational Health = National Institute of Occupational Health (Arbetsmiljöinstitutet)

I agree with you regarding "There must have been a Department of Neurology" because in the first place existed the National Institute of Occupational Medicine. One of the details -and most important to me in this case- is apparently a redundancy because the "Research Institute" is the National Institute of Occupational Health itself and not an area within the National Institute (as suggest "in use at the Department of Neurology at the Swedish National Board of Occupational Health Research Institute").

¿What do you think?

Last edited:

raumar

Norwegian
    Swedish National Board of Occupational Health = National Institute of Occupational Health (Arbetsmiljöinstitutet)
    No, that was not what I meant. The National Board of Occupational Health must be Arbetarskyddsstyrelsen.. The National Board is a government agency, not a research institute. "The Swedish National Board of Occupational Health Research Institute" must be the Research Institute within Arbetarskyddsstyrelsen. In other words, this phrase seems to refer to the 1972-87 situation, when the Research Institute was a unit within the National Board.

The question is then why the pre-1987 name was used in a publication from the 1990s. Maybe the interviews actually were carried out some years earlier, before 1987? Maybe the point is that the "neurological questionnaires" were developed in the old institution, before 1987? Or maybe they just used the old name, without thinking? I don't know.

< Previous | Next >