Swedish: för jag var ju så här

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Gavril, Jun 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    The following is an excerpt from a police interview with a woman, about a dispute with someone who was staying in her house:

"But he has clothes and such here. He has his passport and all that kind of stuff here. [?????], I just, I [will?] reserve a ticket for you if you can go -- he has nowhere to go."

A couple of issues with the second sentence:

1) How to make sense of "för jag var ju så här" here? I can translate it in isolation, but so far, I can't connect it logically to what precedes or follows it.

2) When she says "Jag bokar en biljett åt dig", she appears to be quoting either herself or her counterpart (i.e. the person she has the dispute with). Is there something in this sentence that could be interpreted as "I said ...", or is this meaning contextually implicit?

Thanks

2. MattiasNYC Senior Member

New York
    Swedish
    Without seeing more context I'm inclined to say;

1) I'd translate it as follows (roughly, since it isn't particularly "pretty" Swedish): "But he has clothes 'n stuff here, he's got his passport 'n all that sort of stuff here. Because I was like, I'll just like get a ticket for you if you can go/leave, and he's got nowhere to go." Ugly, but that's my understanding of it.

2) I guess if my previous point is correct then it makes it easier to feel like this should be the woman recounting what she said. She isn't literally quoting herself it seems but rather recounting what her point was to the person, and then right after that - after the last comma - she continues with the caveat of the man not having anywhere to go. To me it would look far worse if that second sentence began with her recounting what the man said, just in terms of linguistics. I mean, it's bad enough as it is, but still I feel it'd be worse. Again though, within a larger context perhaps it's more clear what's meant here. After all, she begins with talking about the man having a passport in presumably her house, so "I'll get a ticket for you" would make less sense if it was the man who told her that (seeing that it's her home, presumably not his).

Does that make sense?

3. Segorian Senior Member

Icelandic & Swedish
    I think that’s it exactly.

4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Thanks! It seemed very likely that she was quoting herself, but without the contextual link (which it's now clear is established by "För jag var ju så här ..."), I wasn't quite sure.