Swedish: framgår

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Matron, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Matron Senior Member

Surrey, UK
    English - England
    Hi there,

I just have a question in relation to this word in context of sentence below...

I was thinking: "Marketing is misleading if in a representation the trader offers consumers a specific product with a stated/quoted price without
    revealing/ stipulating the following material information:
    2. price and unit price stipulated/ indicated in the manner set out in sections 7-10 of the Price Information Act (2004: 347)"

An English translation of this section - uses: "clear presentation" of the following material information... I'm not sure that is right?

Context
    Art. 12(2) Marketing Act (2008:486) here
    Marknadsföringen är vilseledande om näringsidkaren i en framställning erbjuder konsumenter en bestämd produkt med en prisangivelse utan att följande väsentliga information framgår:
    2. pris och jämförpris angivet på det sätt som framgår av 7-10 §§ prisinformationslagen (2004:347),

Many Thanks,

2. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Halloj!

---For the first framgår I think the best translation would be clear. Here are some suggestions:

Marketing is misleading if in a representation the trader offers consumers a specific product with a stated/quoted price without giving clear information about the following: or without clearly stating/presenting the following information:

---For the second framgår I think your suggestions are fine:
    price and unit price stipulated/ indicated in the manner set out in sections 7-10 of the Price Information Act (2004: 347)

Have a nice day!:)

3. Matron Senior Member

Surrey, UK
    English - England
    Amazing - thank you! :)

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Hello,
    I am not an expert in Swedish, and I understand Swedish based on my fluency in Norwegian, and on having read a considerable number of texts and documents in Swedish.

My proposal is:
    1. "Marketing is misleading if in a representation the trader offers consumers a specific product with a stated/quoted price without
    revealing the following material information:" I suppose also that revealing can be replaced by presenting.

2. "2. price and unit price indicated (or presented) in the manner set out in sections 7-10 of the Price Information Act (2004: 347)"

Here "in the manner set out " is a translation of "på det sätt som framgår av"

5. Matron Senior Member

Surrey, UK
    English - England
    Thanks Ben - much appreciated - so you don't think "clearly" should be used here?

6. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    I think "clearly" is optional; it does not occur in the original text, but may have been used by the translator to strengthen the message

7. Matron Senior Member

Surrey, UK
    English - England
    Many thanks... :thumbsup:

8. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Ord.se gives the follwing translation of framgå: "be clear (evident)".

9. Matron Senior Member

Surrey, UK
    English - England
    Thanks again Anna... I have kept it in my translation...

10. MattiasNYC Senior Member

New York
    Swedish
    I know I'm late to the party, but I actually disagree here.

To me "framgå" might be translated as above, but I see enough examples in Swedish of it being accompanied by an adverb like "tydligt" that I really think it is more often perceived as "presented" or something similar. I'd also probably gravitate towards "relevant" more so than "material" in Ben's translation, but that may be more of an English question.

11. Matron Senior Member

Surrey, UK
    English - England
    Interesting stuff - thanks MattiasNYC - so definitely not "clearly" presented!?
    re the material/ relevant debate - this Marketing Act is based on an EU directive - called Unfair Commercial Practices Directive (UCPD) - that provision I reference stems from Art. 7(4) which uses the word, "material" so think / hope that is right.

12. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    I agree with Mattias and Ben, but my perspective is also Norwegian. The word "framgå" exists in Norwegian as well, and my Norwegian-English dictionary translates "framgå" as "appear, be apparent". In other words, the point seems to be that the information must appear in the marketing. (There are some seemingly similar words that have different meanings in Norwegian and Swedish, but I don't think "framgå" is one of them.)

"Tydligt"/"clearly" may not be explicitly mentioned in the text, but it is probably implied anyway. I suppose that it may be a violation of the Act to present this information in an obscure way.