Swedish: friare

chateaux

English - England
Hej! I saw in another dictionary that Swedish 'artist' was translated as 'artist' or 'artiste', and it said that 'artiste' spelling was for 'teat. eller friare'. The only meaning I can find for 'friare' is suitor, but this doesn't seem right? Is there another meaning?
Tack :)

• Kristoffer71

Swedish
    Artist in the sense of the English artiste is typically a professional being on stage and interacting with the audience. A professional singer for example (google Carola Häggkvist).

"teat. eller friare" refers to the context, meaning theater or freer (=more free). So the artiste can be working in theater or alternatively do something more free (like Carola who is a singer).

fri friare friast (free, freer, freest)

chateaux

English - England
    Ahhhh more free! So something a bit more free than the restricted meaning of just artist? I see! Tack så mycket!

Kristoffer71

Swedish
    "Teater eller freer" means: in the context of theater or in a more free form than theater.

A singer for example isn't bound by the same rules as a stage (theater) actor. No need to listen to a director's view of how you should be moving, talking etc.

winenous

English - British
    Artist in the sense of the English artiste is typically a professional being on stage and interacting with the audience.
    I'd just add that it seems to be increasingly common in English for "artist" to be used for pop singers.

I would guess that if you asked "Who is your favourite artist?", most Brits would say something like "Adele" or "Ed Sheeran", rather than "Renoir", "Bansky" or "I don't really have one".

Kristoffer71

Swedish
    I'd just add that it seems to be increasingly common in English for "artist" to be used for pop singers.

I would guess that if you asked "Who is your favourite artist?", most Brits would say something like "Adele" or "Ed Sheeran", rather than "Renoir", "Bansky" or "I don't really have one".
    Yes and in Swedish the word artist is more or less limited to the Adele kind, whereas Renoir and friends would be konstnär (konst = art).

chateaux

English - England
    Tack Kristoffer. I've found some more examples of 'friare' being used in sense indicators so I think it must be used in general to mean that the sense doesn't have to be restricted just to what has been given in the translation. e.g. in 'avskräde' it says it can mean 'offal' or '(friare) rubbish'. So I guess it means 'in a looser sense'.
    Tack for hjälpen! :)

Ben Jamin

Polish
    A very special case of a Scandinavian language influencing English, and not vice versa!
    By the way, the same usage of "artist" i practiced in Norway.

winenous

English - British
    A very special case of a Scandinavian language influencing English, and not vice versa!
    Possibly, but "artist" in the sense of "entertainer" has been used in English for a long time. They used to be called "pop artists", but now the "pop" bit seems to be redundant. I would blame America for that usage :)

Now, Google hits for "pop artists" relate primarily to pop-art artists.