Swedish: göra bort sig

Rejzko

Poicemen talk about a prisoner:

Leon har gjort bort sig.
Alla säger samma sak. Han är helt ensam. Det är ingen som jobbar med honom längre.

"Leon has failed. Leon has messed up"??

• MattiasNYC

Swedish
    I'm on the fence about this one. To me "att göra bort sig" implies more embarrassment than just "messing up". To me "messing something up" doesn't mean that it is embarrassing necessarily, and I do think that there's more emotion involved in "att göra bort sig", specifically feeling bad about it and being somewhat embarrassed.

For example; say you're invited to a Christmas dinner at your partner's parents. It's the first "formal" dinner with them. You get too drunk for some reason and say inappropriate things. I would say that you had "gjort bort dig" and in English "embarrassed yourself".

Having said that, I also think that one way you can mess something up is to indeed embarrass yourself. But you could also "mess up" when you are wrapping a Christmas gift so that the paper is all wrinkled and ugly. That doesn't mean you will or should be embarrassed about it, and I would not use "att göra bort sig" in this context.

Rejzko

I agree, but in this context I would say thah he has not embarassed himself. He rather acted so badly that nobody wants to "work" with him. He is a criminal so I would understand it in a sense that he is no longer an "efficient criminal". This is the 3rd episode of ten so very little is known about what he did wrong.

< Previous | Next >