Swedish: hela den här ön, dårå.

Rejzko

Hello, I wonder if I get this sentence right. A character in a TV series who has a cottage on a Swedish island says:

"... och sen så fyra år senare så träffade hon ju den här Erik från Stockholm.
Ja, det var ju han som hade hela den här ön, dårå."

Is she saying that Erik owned the whole island or the whole place on the island (the cottage and land surrounding it)? I am not sure what "dårå" means. I would say that he owned the whole island.

• MattiasNYC

Swedish
    The word "dårå" doesn't change the meaning of the bulk of the sentence. It's pretty much just slang and thrown into sentences and I honestly don't really know how to explain it. If you're only looking for the meaning of the sentence you can ignore the word. I would interpret the sentence as meaning "owning" without further context.

Looking forward to hearing someone explain "dårå" since I really don't know how to.

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Thanks. Not sure it's only in Stockholm. But anyway..

It almost looks to me that it may have originated with "vadå" as in the example in one of the links and the second "då" seems added for no real reason, and it means "how come?" as you say.

With that in mind the omission of "va" in "vadådå" makes more sense. The word looks as if it moves from being a question because of the "vad" to just 'softly' emphasizing that a statement is a fact.

"vadå (då)?" - question
    "dådå" - a soft emphasis that something is the case

So I probably wouldn't think of "dårå" as short for "vadårå", because the latter is a question and the former isn't.