Swedish: igår

< Previous | Next >

Kajeetah

French - France
Hi, I need to check something with you.

These lines are from the series Rebecka Martinsson. The scene takes place in Kiruna.
Nelly is a teenager who was waiting for Sven-Erik, a policeman, at his place, to tell him something.

NELLY: Har du jobbat sent idag?
SVEN-ERIK: Ja, jag var till Haparanda igår. Och så åkte jag direkt till stationen.

I'd like to know if igår always means "yesterday", or if it can mean "early this morning" because the timeline of events doesn't seem right to me.
Thanks in advance :)

• Kajeetah

French - France
    Thanks a lot! Don't you find that what Sven-Erik says doen't really answer Nelly's question?

EDIT: the only logic I can imagine is that he had to work late on that day to catch up with the work he couldn't do because of his trip to Haparanda, but it seems really far-fetched :rolleyes:

raumar

Norwegian
    There is no doubt that "igår" means yesterday. But on the other hand, Sven-Erik just says that he had been in Haparanda yesterday, he does not say when he came back.

I am not sure if the sentence "Och så åkte jag direkt till stationen" (And then I went directly to the station [presumably the police station]) makes sense if he came back from Haparanda last night.

Maybe he spent all of yesterday in Haparanda, and also stayed the night there, and went back early this morning - straight from Haparanda to the police station, without going home first. The series takes place in Kiruna, right? It is a long way from Haparanda to Kiruna, so if he left Haparanda in the morning he would arrive late at work, and maybe work late to catch up with work.

Alternatively, he could have left Haparanda yesterday evening, and then go straight to the station yesterday night, instead of going home. I suppose that is possible, too, but only if he worked the night shift.

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    I agree with Raumar. I suppose my interpretation without more context would be that he was somewhere else first and instead of going home he went straight to the police station. I would think that it would have been in the morning, because as Raumar says otherwise it sort of implies working the night shift.

Kajeetah

French - France
    Thanks a lot, and sorry I didn't see your replies earlier.
    I already forgot how I translated that in the meantime, but I'll watch the scene again with your ideas in mind. ;)

< Previous | Next >