Swedish: Info går nog att få tag i

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by CarlitosMS, Oct 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CarlitosMS Senior Member

Murcia
    Spanish - Spain
    Hello everybody

I would like to know the meaning of this sentence:
    Jag har dessvärre inga uppgifter. Info går nog att få tag i.

Greetings
    Carlos M.S.

2. MattiasNYC Senior Member

New York
    Swedish
    I think you're supposed to try yourself before others give you help. Some moderators don't like it when people just translate for others.

3. CarlitosMS Senior Member

Murcia
    Spanish - Spain
    It was the context of the sentence.

4. MattiasNYC Senior Member

New York
    Swedish
    What I meant was that you should try to translate it yourself and tell to us what you think it means, and then we'll correct it.

5. CarlitosMS Senior Member

Murcia
    Spanish - Spain
    Translation: Unfortunately, I haven't got any data. The info goes enough to find.
    Sorry, my Swedish is not very good, so it was a trial.

6. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Hejsan!
    The problem with your translation (from Google translate?) is how nog is translated. Nog means both "enough" and "probably"/ "no doubt"/ "certainly".
    So a more correct translation would be:
    Unfortunately I have no information. There is probably some info./ I'm sure you can find some info.

7. CarlitosMS Senior Member

Murcia
    Spanish - Spain
    I translated it literally.

8. MattiasNYC Senior Member

New York
    Swedish
    Ok, I'm not making myself clear I think.

What I meant was that if you translated something into Swedish, then it would help if we got the original text to compare with. But even if you didn't give us the original text in the original language, it would be good if you used your own words to tell us what you think it means. Right now you're just asking us to spoon-feed you the answer, which some moderators here don't like. You're supposed to make an effort yourself first. Since you don't want to do that apparently I'll just answer;

I agree with Anna, "nog" can be translated in different ways. When she writes "enough" it means "sufficient (amount of)" btw. But in this case her translation back to English (which you should have attempted) is what I also would have written; "I'm sure you can find some info."

9. DerFrosch

DerFrosch Senior Member

Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but to my mind, "nog" does not express the same degree of certainty as "I'm sure...". I think "You should be able to find some info" would be a more accurate translation.

10. MattiasNYC Senior Member

New York
    Swedish
    I think we disagree on that. "I'm sure" can be fairly 'vague' and less certain than the word "sure" implies by itself. I think "I'm sure" captures the gist fine if not emphasized, and if we wanted to nit-pick then "you should be able to" should be translated into "du borde kunna hitta" or whatever....